The New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT) is developing a comprehenisve citywide Smart Truck Management plan to better manage freight in New York City.
The data being collected and the public and private sector outreach efforts that are underway will provide a better understanding of truck route usage, the needs of shippers and receivers and community concerns. With the input from the public and private sector stakeholders the Department will recommend a series of strategies and actions to improve operations and enhance the economic vitality and quality of life for all New Yorkers.
The plan support goals of OneNYC , the NYCDOT Strategic Plan 2016: Safe*Green*Smart*Equitable as well as NYC’s Roadmap to 80x50.
The strategies and actions developed through the Smart Truck Management Plan will be based on the following guiding principles:
- Safety: Improve safety for all road users
- Congestion Reduction: Reduce truck related congestion
- Partnerships: Expand partnerships with shoppers, receivers, haulers and communities
- Environmental Sustainability: Improve the trucking industry environmental performance
- Infrastructure and Assets: Identify, evaluate, and invest in essential freight corridors
- Freight Efficiency: support NYC’s economy through more efficient goods movement and deliveries
- Compliance Monitoring: Create a culture of compliance with truck related regulations
DOT will announce the public workshops beginning in May extending through the fall to interact with the public to discuss the future of freight transportation, identify current and future needs, community concerns, and develop a vision for freight movement in the five boroughs. The workshops are part of DOT’s Citywide Freight Plan effort, to deliver a safer, cleaner and more efficient freight system that meets the demanding needs of its residents and businesses.
The full schedule of workshops will be released in the upcoming weeks. To learn more, the Freight Team can be contacted at 212 839 6670 or email@example.com